Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tried it Tuesday...A Little Bit o' This and That!

Today I'm linkin' up with my buddy Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried it Tuesday.  Shh...don't tell her I was up until 12:30 on a school night writin' this post because I was so excited.

I'm just goin' to give you a fair warnin'...this post is goin' to be all over the place because I tried all kinds of stuff this week...YIPPEE!

#1 Awesomeness:
Last year I saw this pin on Pinterest(wouldn't you know after scrollin' through 2,000 pins that I can't find it) and tried it out with my kiddos.  It was so colorful that we left it up all year.  I HAD a picture of it before, but I had a phone incident and lost all of my pictures.  I'm just full of excuses aren't I?  
Since I have looped with my kiddos, I decided I wanted to do it again to see how different their answers would be for this year.  They didn't disappoint.  Plus, I have a love relationship with Post-It notes...win, win!
Anyways...here's this year's picture...
I have 6 different questions hangin' on the door.  The students responded to the question with the matchin' Post-it note.  Example question:  What will Ms. Rose need to do to help make 5th grade successful?  
Don't you just feel happy lookin' at all those pretty Post-Its?  Thought so!

#2 Awesomeness:
Last week I saw THIS fabulous idea on Teaching in Room 6.  I LOVED it so much that I decided I needed to quickly sneak it into my plans.  Why is it that I feel this need to get every creative idea I see over the summer shoved all into the first week? For some reason I forget that there are 180 days to try out everything.  I imagine I'm not the only one that feels this way!  Stephanie's obviously way cooler than I am because she was actually able to locate the pin she found on Pinterest.  Stephanie used a circle map with her kiddos.  I decided to use this 50 Things I Love Graphic Organizer that Nick from Sweet Rhyme-Pure Reason is offerin' for FREE:
The students filled out 50 things that they love and then put them into illustrations on their hands. 

Here's my class' rendition of the project...
I love how bright and colorful they turned out.

Everyone's is so very different.  The pictures just don't do it justice.  
It's way more awesome up close and personal.

Here are all 22 hands together.  The kids think I should have turned the hands upside down, but it's stayin' this way because I like it.  It almost feels like they are reachin' for the stars!
ROSE'S ROCKSTARS ARE HANDS DOWN A ROCKIN' CLASS

#3 Awesomeness:
The next idea I tried was from THIS post that Courtney at Polka Dot Lesson Plans posted this summer for a Throwback Thursday.  It is all about "Tamin' the Paper Monster".  I think Courtney thought I was either jokin' or nuts when I told her that I was immediately goin' to Wally in the middle of the night to get folders for this activity.  I'm sure by now those of you that are frequent readers of my lil ol' blog know that I did indeed go in the middle of the night to scoop up 24 folders.  It was cheaper to get the pack of 8.   I hung the folders up with blue sticky tack(it's the only kind that works as far as I'm concerned).  After a week of papers flyin' in and out, they are still on the wall.  I'm impressed.  
I am usin' them for Unfinished Work because I don't send home paper homework. 

Here's a close up shot.  
We are workin' on Self-Portraits, so this is an example of an unfinished piece of work in the folder.  I used the numbers that Tara from 4th Grade Frolics offered this summer for FREE.  

#4 Awesomeness: 
Every year we have a bazillion(okay, maybe I'm exaggeratin' a little)website log-ins and passwords to keep up with.   In the past, I have used two different ways to keep track of this.  I have used one sheet per student and typed in all of the info, placed it in a plastic sleeve and had the students store it in their binder.  The past two years, I have actually cut out each square and used packin' tape to tape them in the front of each child's agenda.  If I print the whole sheet, I have to reprint every time we add a new site.  If I tape in agendas, I still have to print, cut and tape.  I don't know which way is easier, but I do know that it is a LIFE SAVER.  This way, if we go to the Technology Lab, the students can either carry their binder or agenda and I don't have to waste time lookin' up their log-ins(chances are I've left my thumb drive in my room with all of MY log-ins and there is no way I can remember one single one of my own without lookin' it up first).  Since both items go home each night, the students have easy access to all of their online info.  I find that usin' different colored highlighters helps locate the websites easier at a quick glance.  
It's not necessary, but something that I just do.   

I made this file several years ago on Publisher.  It took me about two minutes to add the boxes and text. 
I considered droppin' this into a PDF file for anyone that wanted this, but then that would defeat the purpose because you couldn't add text.  Then I thought about transferrin' it into a Powerpoint file, but addin' the text boxes would have been a pain, so I ditched that idea.  If you don't own a Mac, and would like the Publisher file, I can send it via email.  That way you can add which ever sites you use in your classroom.  Leave a comment with your email or you can email me at butterflialisun@gmail.com with the subject: Website Log-ins and I will send it to you...if it's even something anyone is interested in havin'!

#5 Awesomeness: 
I didn't get to try out Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings new linky party A Peek at My Week, but I will be this Sunday and you should too(if you haven't already)!

I hope everyone is havin' a great week.  
You'll all be surprised to know that I only took a ONE hour nap on Monday instead of my 
normal first week-three hours.  Gettin' better! 

20 comments :

  1. Oh, Wow!! This post is full of so many amazing ideas! No wonder you were up until 12:30 on a school night! I think that calls for a three hour nap today, don't you? ;) I love the post it notes on the door...do they start falling down after a little while? They are so colorful too! That hand rockstars bulletin board is just awesome!! So cool!! Thank you so much for sharing and staying up late to link up, friend:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DIDN'T TAKE A NAP TODAY because I got my hair done after school. I feel a little discombobulated! Surprisingly, the Post-It notes do stay on this door. My bestie has them on her bathroom door and they start falling off a little, so she just sticks a little piece of tape on them. They will not stay on the side of my desk though...I've tried unsuccessfully many times.

      Delete
  2. What great beginning of the year projects! You are simply amazing! I'm wishing we could me teammates :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a love relationship with post-its! I absolutely love the hand project....that is too cool! Your kiddos did an awesome job on those! Great idea for unfinished work too...that's always been a problem for me. Have a great week....:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Keep Calm and Imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky. I thought this way I could actually see what they haven't completed instead of it hiding in a folder stuffed in a basket.

      Delete
  4. I love the hands, I thought about trying to fit that in to my first week too! Good idea to use the graphic organizer for 50 things they love! The folders are awesome sauce - so colorful and useful - my two favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The hands really didn't take as long as I thought they would.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out! I look forward to your link up on Sunday.

    I LOVE Post-Its! I have them in almost every color. (Thanks to Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching because she sent me them when I won her contest.) I really like what you did with your door. Very clever!

    I also am planning on having my kids do that reaching arm project. Yours turned out very cool!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, thanks so much for the shout out!! Your pockets look great! I'm with you on feeling the need to do all the things right at the beginning of the year. I have to keep reminding myself that there will be time for things later in the year!!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no, no...I want to do it ALL now!! Lol!

      Delete
  7. ...and now I feel like I am a complete slacker after that post you've just shared. My goodness, that is some awesomeness. I really like those hands. I've got a blank board that I was contemplating having my kids design and I think I'll probably dod something like that now. Sweet.

    Excellent Post! Go take a nap!
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! It's quick and easy! I'm heartbroken...I didn't get to take a nap today. All is not right in the world right now! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh man, do I know how you feel about having a million Pinterest ideas, and feeling like yo have to do them all right away, or not being able to find the darn idea you pinned. Argh!!

    Lovin' that "50 things you love" and the hands idea! What a NEAT bulletin board idea! Great 1st day of school activity too. {I just may borrow that one, sista!}

    P.S. You inspired my post today ; )
    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I love those hands! They turned out great! Glad that my 50 things graphic organizer helped! And I really like the idea of the login/password keeper. I'm a bad tech example and make my kids all use the same exact login and password for everything... they STILL forget it sometimes though!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great first week activities! You're in the same boat as me. I have the same kiddos from last year so I have to constantly think of new things to do. Thank goodness for Pinterest and teacher blog stalking!

    Looks like you're off to a great start to the school year. We've been in for one week and I still can't find my energy after school to do anything. My poor blog has been neglected and my Feedly even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the log-in sheet idea! I've been trying to figure out how to keep track of all my students log-ins for our laptops!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the folder pockets idea. I however won't be going to Wally World during the middle of the night since I already have some I can use. I also know how you feel about finding pins you've seen on Pinterest...now I pin everything I think I might want to revisit at some point. Teaching with Giggles

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!