Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tried it Tuesday...Math Journals, Bio-Poems, and Color Coded Cards

Today I'm linkin' up with my buddy Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday.  I was so excited to link up my post for Monday Made It yesterday, but haven't had a chance to check out everyone's posts.  I've decided that I'm going to take a nap before I go check out everyone else's Monday Made Its and Tuesday Tried Its.  Please forgive me...you know how much I need my afternoon naps!


#1 Tried It:
This year I have decided to start using Math Journals in one of my Math stations a few days a week.  I got the Math Journals from K-5 Math Teaching Resources.  They have journals for each grade level for purchase.  They are Common Core aligned and so far I am really enjoying them.
I have the journal entry written in my lesson plans on my Planbook.  I project this on my SMARTboard which is located in front of my teacher table.  The kids copy the question and write an answer.  After they are finished, they share the response with their group.

Some samples: This is still a "Work in Progress".  We are learning to be very specific and detailed.

Math journals in action:
 
Writing  Math journal entries at my table.
Sharing with the group after they are finished to see if they agree or disagree with the responses of the group partners.

#2 Tried It:
One of my students actually came up with this idea on her own and shared with me yesterday.  I thought it was brilliant.  Each week I have my students write their Vocabulary words on index cards.  This student chose to color code her words by Parts of Speech to help her study for her Vocabulary test.  I make the students identify the Parts of Speech.
Pink is for adjectives, yellow for nouns, and orange for verbs.

#3 Tried It:
  My fifth grade neighbors did Bio-Poems last year created by Laura Candler and they are FREE.  I decided to jump in on the action and had my kids fill out the graphic organizer.  Then they each typed their Bio-Poem and got to choose their font and size.  I hung these up next to the sunglasses that I blogged about last week. My hallway is officially full and complete for Thursday's Open House.  I just love how each one is so very different and the kids really got to express themselves.




Nap time...then I'm comin' to read what you all have been up to also!

10 comments :

  1. A nap sounds AWESOME right about now!

    Those are some pretty good math journal entries for so early in the year!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. My partner next door did it with her 2nd graders last year and she had some AMAZING responses. She has the same kids again in 3rd, so I'm sure her kiddos could show mine up right now. I will have them buddy up and brag!

      Delete
  2. I love the bio-poems!

    Color coding vocabulary cards by parts of speech - What an impressive idea to come from a student!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guarantee my little one that came up with this idea could teach my class if I was gone. She impresses me every single day. I love when they come up with brilliant ideas!

      Delete
  3. Love the Bio Poems - I always forget to do those - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The journals look awesome! I love the idea of doing bio poems for open house! So smart!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have come home and napped today, but I always feel more tired when I wake up than I did when I laid down...lol! I have been going to bed early though...kinder is kickin' my butt! That was a brilliant idea your student had to color code the vocab by parts of speech....smart cookie!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Keep Calm and Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hallway must look AMAZING for open house!!! Can my daughter be in your class in a few years? I love how your student came up with the color coding idea! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    Your naps crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graphic organizer charts are a common name given to charts that can illustrate facts, concept, and ideas in a way that can be understood visually. Graphic organizers can also be used to help kids break down math problems into smaller steps. Each printable Math Graphic Organizer Template comes with at least one filled-in example.

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!